The Kalamazoo Scenic Bicycle Tour (KalTour) is the Kalamazoo Bicycle Club’s annual road tour designed for bicyclists of all ages and abilities. Distances range from 13 to 100 miles, and the longer routes include some hills.
KalTour 2017 will take place on Sunday, June 25th.
KalTour starting times and distances are as follows:
~ 7:00 am to 8:30 am – 100 miles (century)
~ 7:00 am to 10:00 am – 62 miles (100 K or metric century)
~ 8:00 am to 11:00 am – 31 miles (50 K)
~ 9:00 am to 11:00 am – 17 miles
~ Departing at 10:00 am – 13 mile escorted family ride
Maps will be provided for each route, and all routes will be well marked with color-coded arrows to indicate turns.
The shorter routes contain a pleasant mix of flat and gently rolling terrain. The family ride is a good choice for those who are riding with younger children since the guides make sure everyone stays together and that no one gets left behind! The century and metric century routes travel the gentle slopes of the grape and apple growing region near the village of Lawton in Eastern Van Buren County, one of the most beautiful cycling routes in Southwest Michigan. The 100 mile route also visits the hilly landscape of Northern Kalamazoo and Van Buren Counties before tackling the 6th Street Hill. All of the rides meet at a scenic rest area for a lunch featuring sandwiches and cookies from local bakeries.
How much does KalTour cost?
- Online registration before May 1: $25.00 for individuals; $45.00 for families ($5 discount for KBC members)
- Online registration May 1 – June 22: $30.00 for individuals; $55.00 for families ($5 discount for KBC members)
- Day of ride registration, at Registration Tent: $35.00 for individuals; $65.00 for families (NO discount for KBC members)
Online Registration – No service charges or added fees!
Please click on one of these buttons to register on line.
If you are not a member of the Kalamazoo Bicycle Club, please use these buttons:
If you are a member of the Kalamazoo Bicycle Club, please use these buttons (your discounted registration price will be $5.00 less than that for non-members):
Directions to Start of KalTour
The KalTour will start and end at the Bronson Athletic Club. The Bronson Athletic Club is located in “The Groves” business and technology park. Look for the sign on the stone wall- at the South-West corner of the I-94/9th Street Interchange (Exit 72).
Exiting westbound I-94 turn left on 9th Street and turn right on Elm Valley Drive immediately after crossing the I-94 overpass.
Exiting eastbound I-94 turn right on 9th Street and immediately turn right on Elm Valley Drive.
From the north or south take US 131 to I-94 west.
- Registration is open from 7:00 am to 11:00 am.
- Century riders must start no later than 8:30 am.
- Metric Century riders must start no later than 10:00 am.
- Fast ride group (62 miles) leaves at 9:00 am.
- Moderate pace ride group (31 miles) leaves at 9:30 am.
- Family ride (an escorted 13 mile ride) leaves at 10:00 am.
- Lunch is available for all riders at a common rest stop beginning at 10 am.
- Course closes at 4:00 pm.
- Watch this space and the KBC Facebook page for the starting times of more ride groups!
- Beautiful rest stops with toilet facilities.
- Plenty of sandwiches (including vegetarian and non-dairy choices), cookies, trail mix, and fruit
- Watermelon after the ride
- Additional fruit, cookie, and water stops on the 62 and 100 mile routes
- Routes maps and color-coded pavement marking at all turns and intersections
- Support vehicles in case of breakdowns
All riders must wear helmets and follow the rules of the road.
All KalTour participants over the age of 18 must sign a waiver of liability on the day of the ride.
Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.