Now in its 31st year, the Kalamazoo Scenic Bicycle Tour (KalTour) is the Kalamazoo Bicycle Club’s annual cycling event designed for bicyclists of many ages and abilities. Distances range from 15 to 100 miles. Our start location at the Wind + James Event Center in Schoolcraft offers easy access to low-traffic, flat, country roads.
All routes leave from Wind + James Event Center in Schoolcraft. See below for directions to the start. KalTour 2023 routes are available through the Ride With GPS website at this link: KalTour 2023 (ridewithgps.com). Routes may be followed using pavement markings, paper maps, or “Ride with GPS” map files.
- 100 miles (century)
- 62 miles (100 K or metric century)
- 50 miles (half century)
- 31 miles (50 K)
- 15 miles
You may choose your distance on the day of the ride.
How much does KalTour cost?
Online registration for KalTour is available through the Bikereg website at https://www.bikereg.com/kbc-kaltour
- Online registration before June 22 (or until rider capacity of 250 is reached): $40.00 for individuals; $75.00 for families of up to 2 adults and minor children ($5 discount for KBC members).
- Day of ride registration: $45.00 for individuals; $85.00 for families of up to 2 adults and minor children (NO discount for KBC members).
- Registration is open from 7:00 am to 11:00 am
- Century riders must start no later than 8:30 am
- Metric Century riders must start no later than 10:00 am
- 4:00 pm – Course closes
It’s more fun to ride with a group! There will be optional mass starts at the following times:
- 7:30 for century (100 mile) riders
- 8:30 for metric century (62 mile) riders
- 9:00 for half century (50 mile) riders
- 9:30 for half metric century (31 mile) riders.
- 10:00 for 15 mile riders
Experienced KBC ride leaders will accompany each group.
Watch the KBC web site and the KBC Facebook group for further announcements listing departure time, distance, and pace for ride groups. A pre-ride email listing ride groups will also be sent to all preregistered riders.
Refreshments will be available at rest stops. All routes except the 15 mile route will stop at Scotts Mill County Park, a working nineteenth century flour mill. Rest stops will offer fruit, snacks, cookies, and sports drink.
Lunch will be offered at the end of the ride. In addition to sandwiches, chips, cookies, and watermelon, we will take advantage of the facilities of our start location to offer root beer floats! (Vegetarian and gluten-free options will be available.)
KalTour Ride Safety
- All riders must wear helmets and follow the rules of the road.
- All KalTour participants over the age of 18 must sign a waiver of liability on the day of the ride.
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult
- A bicycle with multiple gears and in good working order is recommended for all riders.
Directions to Start of KalTour
KalTour will start and end at the Wind + James Event Center in Schoolcraft, Michigan, located in the southern part of Kalamazoo County. Wind + James is located at 555 Eliza Street, west of the intersection of Eliza Street (W Avenue) and 14th Street.
Directions from Kalamazoo, Portage, and points north including Grand Rapids: Take US 131 South to the second traffic light in Schoolcraft (the main intersection) and turn left (east) onto Eliza Street. Wind + James is .3 mile on the right (just past the tracks).
Directions from east and west of Kalamazoo: Take I-94 to US 131 South (Exit 74). Continue on US 131 for 8.7 miles.
Volunteer for KalTour
KalTour is KBC’s major fundraising activity and involves a lot of different tasks. Please help. You can volunteer, before during or after your ride. Follow the following link to see what needs to be done and to sign up as a volunteer. (Non-riding volunteers need not register for KalTour.)
The following businesses and organizations help make KalTour possible:
Gordon Water, Wind + James Event Center, and Kalamazoo Valley AMBUCS.