The Kalamazoo Scenic Bicycle Tour (KalTour) is the Kalamazoo Bicycle Club’s annual road tour designed for bicyclists of many ages and abilities. Distances range from 13 to 100 miles.
KalTour 2018, our 27th annual summer tour, will take place on Sunday, June 24th.
KalTour registration times and distances are as follows:
~ 7:00 am to 8:30 am – 100 miles (century)
~ 7:00 am to 10:00 am – 62 miles (100 K or metric century)
~ 8:00 am to 11:00 am – 31 miles (50 K)
~ 9:00 am to 11:00 am – 13 miles
Start times for KalTour group rides are as follows:
~ 7:15 am – 100 miles (18 mph-pace group ride)
~ 7:30 am – 62 miles (13-14 mph-pace group ride)
~ 8:00 am – 62 miles (16 mph-pace group ride)
~ 8:00 am – 31 miles (14 mph-pace group ride)
~ 9:00 am – 62 miles (18 mph-pace group ride)
~ 9:00 am – 62 miles (fast-pace group ride)
~ 9:15 am – 31 miles (moderate-pace group ride)
~10:00 am – about 10 miles (escorted family ride)
Maps will be provided for each route, and all routes will be well marked with color-coded arrows to indicate turns. Ride with GPS maps and cue sheets are available at the links below.
You can also find the routes by searching “KalTour 2018” in the KBC route library or by going to the KBC Event Calendar for June 24 at the Ride with GPS site https://ridewithgps.com/organizations/1837-kalamazoo-bicycle-club/events
New For 2018!
Our new start location at Schoolcraft High School offers easy access to low-traffic, flat, country roads.
The Century Route will go “Around the County” stopping at Scotts Mill and Markin Glen County Parks and the State Fish Hatchery. The 31 and 62 mile routes will have lunch at Scotts Mill, while the 13 and 15 mile routes will have a rest stop at Prairie View County Park before returning to the school for lunch.
KalTour Ride Safety
- All riders must wear helmets and follow the rules of the road.
- All KalTour participants over the age of 18 must sign a waiver of liability on the day of the ride.
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult
- A bicycle with multiple gears and in good working order is recommended for all riders.
How much does KalTour cost?
- Online registration before May 1: $25.00 for individuals; $45.00 for families ($5 discount for KBC members)
- Online registration May 1 – June 22: $30.00 for individuals; $55.00 for families ($5 discount for KBC members)
- Day of ride registration, at Registration Tent: $35.00 for individuals; $65.00 for families (NO discount for KBC members)
Online Registration for KalTour 2018 is now closed.
If you want to ride KalTour 2018 and have not registered, please sign up at the Registration Tent on Sunday, June 22nd.
Directions to Start of KalTour
KalTour will start and end at Schoolcraft High School in Schoolcraft, Michigan located in the southern part of Kalamazoo County. Schoolcraft High School is located at the intersection of Lyons Street (VW Avenue) and 14th Street.
Directions from Kalamazoo, Portage, and points north including Grand Rapids: Take US 131 South to the north traffic light in Schoolcraft (at the McDonald’s restaurant) and turn left (east) onto Lyons Street. The school is approximately one-half mile on the left.
Directions from east and west of Kalamazoo: Take I-94 to US 131 South (Exit 74) for about eight miles.
- Registration is open from 7:00 am to 11:00 am.
- Century riders must start no later than 8:30 am.
- Metric Century riders must start no later than 10:00 am.
- Fast ride group (62 miles) leaves at 9:00 am.
- Moderate pace ride group (31 miles) leaves at 9:30 am.
- Escorted 13 mile ride leaves at 10:00 am.
- Lunch is available beginning at 10 am.
- Course closes at 4:00 pm.
- Watch this space and the KBC Facebook page for the starting times of more ride groups!
- Beautiful rest stops with toilet facilities.
- Plenty of sandwiches (including vegetarian and non-dairy choices), cookies, trail mix, and fruit
- Watermelon after the ride
- Additional fruit, cookie, and water stops on the 62 and 100 mile routes
- Routes maps and color-coded pavement marking at all turns and intersections
- Ride with GPS maps and cue sheets for all routes
- Support vehicles in case of breakdowns
The following businesses and organizations help make KalTour possible: