The Kalamazoo Bicycle Club will be granting scholarships for a League of American Bicyclist’s (LAB) League Certified Instructor (LCI) training course to be held August 13, 14, and 15, 2021 in Portage. The LAB Smart Cycling one-day course is the required prerequisite.
The cost of the LCI training course is $500. The KBC will pay $400 of this, and the attendee $100. KBC members will be considered first, then other non-KBC cyclists residing in the greater Kalamazoo area. Applicants will be chosen who commit to conducting or participating in bicycle skills training sessions, such as KBC’s Bike Camp, LAB’s Smart Cycling courses, or other similar road cycling training, within the greater Kalamazoo area. Once LCI certification is achieved, there are yearly requirements to maintain your LCI certification. See the details here: https://bikeleague.org/content/become-instructor.
The goals for KBC LCI scholarships are:
1. Increase the number of LCIs within the greater Kalamazoo area.
2. Increase the number of skills training programs in the area.
3. Promote good will toward bicycling in the area.
4. Improve bicycle safety through educational outreach in the area.
List of potential options for LCIs to contribute back to KBC and the Kalamazoo cycling community.
1. Teach/participate in KBC’s Bike Camp.
2. Teach a Smart Cycling course.
3. Join the KBC Education Committee
4. Educate about cycling at local schools
5. Volunteer at Open Roads
6. Contribute to Bike Friendly Kalamazoo’s bicycle advocacy efforts.
7. Work with local municipalities to advance bicycling infrastructure in the area.
8. Work with local municipalities to adopt 5’ passing laws.
9. ________________ (your idea)
10. _______________ (your other idea, etc)